Discussion Meet Contest
The Discussion Meet is a group discussion designed to offer young farmers and ranchers the opportunity to discuss issues affecting agriculture today. It is not a debate or a speech contest – it simulates a committee meeting where discussion and active participation is expected from each participant.
Discussion Meet Procedure
- The topic chosen will be announced to the participants 30 minutes before the contest begins.
- When the contest begins, the moderator will introduce the contestants and restate the topic to be discussed. The contestants will make a 30 second opening statement in voluntary order.
- The moderator will then indicate the opportunity for open discussion, which will run for a total of 25 minutes.
- The timekeeper will indicate to the moderator when a total of 20 minutes have elapsed, and then again at 25 minutes.
- The moderator will call for one minute of quiet time to allow the contestants to consider a closing statement.
- The moderator will call upon the contestants in voluntary order to make a one-minute closing statement.
Rules of Eligibility
- Contestants must be a Farm Bureau member in good standing with their county Farm Bureau and actively engaged in farming.
- Contestants must be at least 18 and no more than 35 years of age as of January 31, 2021.
- Entries are due by January 25, 2021.
If entries are sufficient, a preliminary contest will be held. The top four entrants would then advance to the final state contest. The contests will be held at the 2021 YF&R Leadership Conference on February 12-14, 2021.
The state winner will be recognized at the MOFB Annual Meeting, December 5-7, 2021 and will receive a cash award and a trip to the American Farm Bureau Annual Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia, in January 2022, where they will represent Missouri in the national contest.