2019 YF&R Achievement Award Application
The Young Farmers & Ranchers (YF&R) Excellence in Agriculture Award competition is designed as an opportunity for young farmers and ranchers to earn recognition, while actively contributing and growing though their involvement in Farm Bureau and agriculture. Participants will be judged on their involvement in agriculture, leadership ability, and participation/involvement in Farm Bureau and other organizations (i.e., civic, service and community). The ideal candidate(s) for the Excellence in Agriculture Award is an individual or couple who does not have the majority of his/her net income subject to normal production risk. It is recommended that the state Farm Bureaus provide, as part of the state recognition and award, an expenses-paid trip to the AFBF Annual Convention held in 2020 in Austin, Texas, Jan. 17-22. Appropriate recognition will be given to all national competitors in attendance at the AFBF Annual Convention. The AFBF YF&R Committee and the AFBF Leadership, Education, and Engagement Department will coordinate the program at the national level.
Information about the Excellence in Agriculture applicant is requested on the entry form. ALL INFORMATION IS HANDLED IN STRICT CONFIDENCE AND IS DESTROYED AFTER JUDGING IS COMPLETED.
- An applicant can be either an individual or a couple that is married or has similar legal rights under the law applicable to the state Farm Bureau organization. Applicant may choose to apply individually, rather than as a couple.
- Applicant(s) shall be a Farm Bureau member(s) between the ages of 18 and 35 in good standing with his/her county Farm Bureau. The individual or spouse/spousal-equivalent shall have reached his/her 18th birthday at the time he/she qualifies for the national competition and shall not have reached his/her 36th birthday by Jan. 31, 2020.
- Applicant(s) must not have derived a majority of his/her net income from an owned production agriculture enterprise in any of the past three years.
- Applicant(s) may only compete in one national YF&R Competition per year.
- Past and present members of the AFBF Young Farmers & Ranchers Committee and/or their spouse are not eligible to compete.
- Past state YF&R Achievement Award winners and/or previous AFBF Achievement Award competitors are not eligible to compete.
- Previous AFBF Excellence in Agriculture Award competitors are not eligible to compete. Past state YF&R Excellence in Agriculture winners are eligible if they have not previously competed at the national level.
- Current employees or agents of county, state and/or the American Farm Bureau organizations and their affiliates are not eligible to compete. An affiliate is defined as an entity owned or controlled in whole or in part by another entity through, for example, ownership (including partial ownership) or positions on the board of directors.
- Each state may submit one entry to be considered for national recognition and must use the AFBF entry form and application.
Entry Form & Application Guidelines
- Do not use applicant’s name, the name of his/her state or county, or any names that may bring about the recognition or identification of the applicant’s state beyond the entry form. The written versions of the application have a search feature to locate any identifiers. Verbal and presentation reference to applicants’ name, state and county will be allowed during your presentation for personalization of presentation.
- The entry form and application must be completed in first person narrative (i.e. I, me, we, etc.) for questions 1-5. “A1”/”A2” may not be used for questions 1-5. Applicants must use “A1”/“A2” to denote each applicant for all of question 6.
- Do not use abbreviations or acronyms, unless it has been spelled out once with the abbreviation in parentheses behind it. For example, United States Department of Education (USDE). AFBF, FB, and YF&R are acceptable to use throughout the application.
- The attached entry form and application are examples of the information needed for the official online application. Authorized state representatives will have access to the online portal for official state submission. No emailed or mailed entry forms will be accepted.
- State Farm Bureaus have permission to reproduce the attached entry form for state-level competition or as a recruitment tool.
- It will be up to the judges’ discretion to deduct points if applicants include activities before they were 18.
Note: Disregard of the guidelines will result in disqualification of the application.
- The presentation will be an interactive, 25-minute presentation, in which the applicant(s) has an opportunity to share the contents of his/her/their entire application in narrative form with a panel of three judges and the audience. o Applicant(s) will have 25 minutes to present on the topics addressed in the application and address questions from the judges. It will be up to the applicant(s) to determine how they use this time. Applicants will be notified by the time keeper when 10 minutes are remaining and again when five (5) minutes are remaining. Time will be called and conclude the applicant’s time in front of the judges at 25 minutes.
- The only visual means in which to deliver the information is through a PowerPoint or Prezi presentation. The applicant(s) needs to submit their presentation on a USB flash drive during the Excellence in Agriculture Competitor Orientation. A computer, LCD projector, screen and one slide advancer remote will be provided. All presentations must be formatted to work on a PC. Contestants will not be allowed to use their own computer.
- Verbal and presentation references to applicant(s) name, state and county will be allowed during the presentation.
- No props (including notes), sound or video of any kind will be allowed during the presentation.
- Applicants and their state coordinators are not allowed to view other presentations until after they have completed their own.
- All applications will be judged prior to the AFBF Annual Convention. Applicants will present to a different set of judges at the Annual Convention.
Please complete the form. If you wish to start the application but complete it later, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Save.” The application submission deadline is August 15, 2019.